Church of England Orphanage: Opened on Ash Wednesday, 1855, the first inmates totalling eight- seven boys and one girl; was situated in a building near the Church of England Cathedral; widows as well as orphans were sheltered there; in situation was a thankoffering from St. Jon’s citizens who had survived the cholera epidemic of 1854; first secretary of the orphanage was Charles Tunbridge, who held the office for five years.
In 1875, the boy inmates then numbering ten, were removed to a building known as the Engineers’ Workshop, which had been fitted up for their reception and which was situated near St. Thomas’ Church, in 1882 Rev. Henry Dunfield became secretary for both orphanages retaining this office for many years.
After the fire of 1802 a new building was created on Cavendish Square on the site of the old boys orphanage and all the orphans, boys as well as girls, were housed therein.
In 1918 the Job family presented to the Orphanage the beautiful country place Exon, on the Long Pond Road for the accommodation of the girls as a memorial to their father, T. R. Job; the girls were moved to their new quarters that year.
In 1919, Sir Edgar Bowring and Mrs. J. S. Munn presented Steer’s Farm Long Pond Road, to the boys orphanage as a memorial to J. S. Munn and his daughter, Betty Munn, who were lost in the wreck of the Florizel; the property was renamed the Shannon-Munn Memorial and after some extensions, the boys were moved thereto; the old town orphanage was sold to Bishop Field College to be used as a hostel in connection with that institution.
In June 1922, there was organised the Orphanaid Club, to assist the managers in financing the Church of England Orphanages; the first officers were: Hon. H. M. Mosdell, M.B., president; Hon. S. D. Blandford, vice-president; B. B. Stafford, treasurer; and Reg Dowden, secretary.
Church Lads’ Brigade: A Co. granted a charter dated Nov. 17, 1892; Company enrolled Dec. 30, 1892, with a membership of 20; first officers were Rev. T. S. Thompson, Capt. Melville, A. D. C. To Governor O’Brien, and Lieut. C. W. Hayward; first name on the Company’s roll, Harold Blackler and the first meetings and drills were held at his home, 72 George St. Brigade headquarters were next established in the basement of Springdale Street School.
In 1893, the Brigade occupied the top flat of the building on Water Street on the west corner of the entrance to Horwood Lumber Co.’s wharf.
In 1894, quarters were secured by the Brigade in the Butterine Factory near St. Joseph’s Church, Hoylestown.
First C. L. B. Camp was established at Topsail, at Greens Haunted House, next to Sir Edgar Bowring S Bungalow, in the summer of 1893. B. Co.. St. John’s granted a charter Feb. 5, 1896, and the Avalon Battalion organised.
In 1897 Brigade headquarters were removed from Butterine Factory to the Cathedral and from the latter place to the King’s Road Armoury in 1899.
In 1960, the C. L. B. became permanent owners of Sit H. Murray’s Cup, having won it 3 years in succession at the Regatta. Capt. J. W. H. Southey succeeded and was followed in 1889 by Capt. Timms who held office until 1900. Capt. Powys-Keek was O. C. 1900-1901 and Sir Joseph Outerbridge 1901-1903.
Major Franklin was acting O. C. 1903-1904.
R. G. Rendell gazetted honorary capt. Jan. 1901 and Lieut. Col.; April 18, 1904; reesigned command in 1920 and was succeeded by Lieut. Col. R. F. Goodridge.
In 1902, five men rowed the brigade boat to victory at the Regatta, one oar being broken at the beginning of the race. The crew were: A. G. Williams, cox; S. Piercey, T. Hallett, Frank Miles (of the broken oar), W. Butt, J. Ebsary, and H. Reid.
Channel, (o) Co., No. 2191, organised Jan. 20, 1903.
W. H. Franklin promoted to major, 1904.
Lieut. G. R. Williams resigned as pay-master, July 31, 1905, after seven years in this office.
Mr. N. Snow joined the C. L. B. as Lieut. and bandmaster, 1808, holding the latter position until 1912. The brass band was founded by Surgeon Major H. Rendell, M. D. After Capt. Snow came Bandmasters Morgan, Cake, and Morris.
C. L. B. Band left for Ottawa Jan. 28, 1907 under Bandmaster Snow and Capt. W. R. Warren, to enter the All-Canada Amatuer Band Contest fort eh Earl Grey Trophy.
First meeting of officers’ mess held in the new C. L. B. Armoury on the Parade Ground, Feb. 14, 1910; Armoury formally opened on Easter Monday, March 28, 1910. St. Mary’s (E) Co., No. 2904, Heart’s Content, organised August 10, 1910.
C. Co., No. 3001, St. John’s organised Feb. 23, 1911.
J. Co., No. 3204 Bell Island, organised Nov. 11, 1913; Armoury on Bell Island opened and dedicated by Rev. Canon White, May 24, 1914.
C. L. B. Armoury, St. John’s used as recruiting headquarters for the Royal Nfld. Regiment 1914-1918.
Blue Puttee contingent of the Royal Nfld. Regiment the first draft to leave Nfld for overseas on the steamer Florizel, in October, 1914, included 108 members of the C. L. B., out of a total strength of 540 men.
K. Co., Bishop Field College, St. John’s organised Oct. 30, 1917.
C. L. B. celebrated Silver Anniversary with a parade to St. Mary’s Church, Nov. 11, 1917.